Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Broken Computer Charger Changes Everything

Two weeks ago, I wrote about my actual, real, true workload - the work I and other faculty do outside of the classroom. This week, a music professor from Allegheny College wrote a similar story in response to the great state of Pennsylvania's attack on the state university system. He also debunks the myth of the overpaid, underworked teacher - you can read it here.

Yesterday morning, the absolute truth of both of our essays hit home. When I woke up, I discovered that my laptop computer had not charged. It would not charge. It would not come on when it was plugged in.

I called Apple and they are sending me a new adapter, which should come tomorrow or Friday.

When I went home for dinner (before returning to school for rehearsal of the play I'm directing), I thought I'd do a little work, as I often do over dinner.

Oops. No computer.

This morning, over breakfast, I checked my school email on my phone.

I'm writing this during my office hours and realizing I'll probably have to stay in my office over the dinner hour because, again, no computer at home.

And out of my six-figure income (ha! not quite half that . . .), I pay for my computer, my internet service, my phone, and my phone service. And I could not do my job without those things.

Or without working over meals at home.

2 comments:

  1. A broken computer charger changes everything indeed. It's hard to finish the tasks assigned to you when your computer has no source of energy. Well, a month passed already, and I really hope you already replaced the charger. I suggest you also schedule check-ups for your computer to prevent data corruption. It can happen and it's a hassle to deal with, especially if you have tons of work to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks, I did. Apple shipped one overnight (I'm live in The Midde of Nowhere, WV.) And I back up religiously!

      Delete